This site is not an official Fulbright Program site and the views expressed on the site are entirely mine and do not represent the views of the Fulbright Program, the US Department of State or any of its partner organizations.

Monday, July 1, 2013

Two Weeks Left

This Saturday marked my last two weeks in South Korea. That sentence simultaneously makes me giddy at the thought of seeing all my friends and family so soon and also makes me sad because I will have to say goodbye to many of the wonderful friends I've made during my year here. This weekend a goodbye dinner was held in Seoul for all the Fulbright ETAs. Therefore, I headed to Seoul right from school on Friday. On Friday night I enjoyed some karaoke, makgeoli, chicken and more with friends. It was nice to all be together one last time. 

On Saturday my best friend, Rachel, and I spent the day together. We bopped around Seoul all day both running errands (like souvenir shopping) and visiting places we always wanted to but never did (like a sheep cafe!). The day was really exhausting but also really enjoyable. Although Rachel and I will spend next weekend together it was our last chance to just spend time the two of us. 

One last haemul pajeon 
Patbingsu from the fanciest ddeok store we could find.
The sheep outside Good Nature Cafe
On Saturday night I attended the Final Dinner for all the Fulbright ETAs. It was on the 31st floor of a really swanky hotel near City Hall and the view from the room was stunning. The dinner was so much fun and I was glad to have the opportunity to say goodbye to all of my friends who do not live near me in Korea. Unfortunately, after dinner I had to catch the last train back to Chuncheon so I wasn't able to go out with my friends that night.

I needed to be back in Chuncheon on Saturday night because my co-teachers planned a trip to Gangneung. I met three of my co-teachers early on Sunday morning and we started our two and a half hour drive to the coast. When we arrived we enjoyed some time on the beach before having a sushi feast at a restaurant overlooking the water. Our lunch was delicious and I was glad I finally had the chance to try Korean style sushi. Korean style sushi is just the raw fish and it is dipped in a spicy sauce. After lunch we went to one of my co-teachers favorite coffee shops in Gangneung called Terra Rosa. Terra Rosa is so famous that it's coffee was actually served at the sheep cafe I visited on Saturday. The cafe was situated in a dense forest amongst farms on the outskirts of the city. It was absolutely beautiful inside and out. The coffee and desserts were also plentiful and delicious. After coffee it was time to start the drive back to Chuncheon. I had such an amazing day with my co-teachers and was so glad they planned this day trip for me. It was definitely a trip I'll remember for a very long time!

My co-teachers and I on the beach
One of my co-teachers and I with the appetizers at the sushi restaurant
Sushi!
Another co-teacher and I at Terra Rosa

No comments:

Post a Comment