This site is not an official Fulbright Program site and the views expressed on the site are entirely mine and do not represent the views of the Fulbright Program, the US Department of State or any of its partner organizations.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Becoming Family

For the first time since I've been in Korea I really, truly feel like I am part of a family. My new host family in Chuncheon does an amazing job fully integrating me into their lives. I've never felt so at home and comfortable with a Korean family before. I really feel like a 경 and it's nice to know that I'll always have family in Korea, even after I return to America.

This week my brother, unni and I went with friends to a cookie-making shop in Chuncheon. My brother's friend's mom works at the shop and she invited my family and another family to come and make cookies. It was really fun but much different than I expected. The biggest surprise was that really all we were doing was cutting the dough into shapes. I was expecting to make the dough and make all sorts of cookies. Maybe I was just overly excited though. Since Koreans don't have ovens baking is super rare and is something I've missed. Another surprise came when we tasted the cookies. I don't know what kind of dough was used but the 'cookies' were basically those hard biscuit things you are sometimes served at fancy coffee shops. I later found out that no butter is called for in the recipe- no wonder they were so hard and dry! But the whole experience was really fun. I liked meeting more of my unni's friends and I could tell the moms were are thrilled to have me talk to their children. 

That same night our family went out to dinner with three other families. The parents of all the families went to University with my parents and they have been friends for over 20 years. The dinner was a lot of fun and their friends were so nice. I felt so welcomed. It was pretty funny though because in the beginning they would only talk to me in Korean but then as they drank more alcohol they began to try to speak to me in English. It was fun trying to talk to them in English, but talking in Korean was definitely more efficient. The dinner also reminded me a lot of Breezy. After dinner the four families went to a bar with all the children in tow. The children loved it because they were able to stay up late and play with friends and the parents loved drinking and catching up. It seemed exactly like something that would happen anywhere in Breezy and actually made me a little homesick. Luckily, it's hard to feel homesick when I am surrounded by wonderful people who I know really care about me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment