This site is not an official Fulbright Program site and the views expressed on the site are entirely mine and do not represent the views of the Fulbright Program, the US Department of State or any of its partner organizations.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A New Perspective on the Korean Education System

I've been feeling a little bad about not blogging much this month especially after my January hiatus but my life in Chuncheon has been pretty mundane. It's been wonderful to take it easy this month but it's also not really resulted in blog-worthy events. Therefore, today I decided to just blog about something that's been on my mind. This post may become a little incoherent as some points because I'm still figuring out what I think about everything so bear with me.

This month I've been reflecting a lot on my teaching this past semester in an effort to improve. The beginning of last semester was a bit rough because I was learning how to adapt my teaching style to work in a Korean classroom. The Korean education system is incredibly, unbelievably different than our own education system and is largely lecture and textbook based. This really bothered me at times because I felt like many students were studying simply to get the best test scores and teachers were completely okay with this. In fact, they supported it. You never see teachers pushing kids to explore their interests, to ask questions, to think creatively or anything and for me these are the things that make kids life-long learners, which I believe should be an end goal of education. I believe instilling a love of learning in a child will not only bring more enjoyment and fulfillment to the child's life but it will also make them more flexible and adaptable, which will set them up to be more successful in life. A person who enjoys learning new skills and challenging themselves will be successful in virtually any field. Since the Korean education system clashed with my beliefs and teaching styles in many ways I began to think about why this was. Education is largely a reflection of a country's culture so I have been trying to think more critically about what aspects of Korean culture contribute to the test-laden education system.

I recently remembered a conversation I had with my host dad and brother on our way to school one morning. In the fall, the three of us would walk the half an hour to school together and had largely mundane conversations since the dad doesn't speak English and I speak very little Korean, but this day was different. I think the dad just wanted to force his son to practice English by making him translate our conversation but regardless of the reason for the conversation I appreciated the break in routine. On the walk my host father asked me to tell him an American folk tale or fable or any story that all parents use to teach their kids a lesson. I pretty much immediately went blank and couldn't think of anything that I felt was truly 'American'. I felt like all the really old stories I could think of were from other countries. After an awkward two minutes of silence I felt like I had to say something and for some reason the only thing I could think of was Hansel and Gretel so I quickly told the story. My father than told me a Korean folk tale about two brothers and in the end of the story one of the brothers becomes very rich. I told him it was a great story, even though it struck me as odd. There was something about the story and it's moral that just didn't fully sit right with me. It was almost as if my host father was reading my mind because he then said commented on how funny it is that in America a good ending to a story is everyone ending up happy and in Korea it's everyone ending up rich. Immediately after he said that I realized that what I found off-putting about the story was that the brothers became estranged and only one of them wound up with money. I didn't really think more about this conversation until more recently- probably because I have lots of time on my hands.

Anyways, I have come to realize that there is a huge difference in values between Koreans and Americans when it comes to money and happiness. Now, don't get me wrong I believe both cultures value both money and happiness very highly but I believe Americans ultimately value happiness over money, whereas Koreans value money over happiness. Yes, in America many parents want their kids to be financially secure and will push them towards careers that will ensure that but there's also a genuine belief that one can be happy without being rich. Children and young adults grow up believing that if they find something they love doing and makes them happy they will find a way to make a living off of it. And we are led to believe that even if that salary doesn't make you rich as long as your needs are met and you are happy that is enough. Money is often viewed as contributing to happiness but I believe in the American mindset money isn't a necessary component of happiness. Ultimately, we believe one can be happy without being rich. Unfortunately, I don't think I can honestly say the same about Koreans. Don't get me wrong, I think they value happiness a lot but, I think money is more important. I believe Koreans just can't fathom that someone could be truly happy without money. I'm not really sure if this is because the culture is more materialistic or if it's because of how quickly Korea modernized (and ultimately, how recently, it was very impoverished) or if it's something else altogether. All I know is that from my own observations and interactions with a wide number of Koreans this is the conclusion I have come to and I believe it's true regardless of the family's economic circumstances.

Now, I suppose you're wondering how this relates to the Korean education system, which is a good question. For me, understanding this difference in values helps me understand why Koreans approach education the way they do. I understand why parents make their children stay up until 3AM to study and I understand why the students do it even though many times they are aware that excessive studying is depriving them of their childhood. They do it because the tests they take in their eyes determine their future. Tests ultimately determine what job you will get. In Korea interviews, personal qualities, special accomplishments and extra-curriculars are of minimal importance when it comes time to get accepted to University or get a job. You take a test for nearly every job and the top scorers will get the job regardless of other credentials. Whenever I previously looked at the education system I always ended up asking myself the same question. What's the point? What's the point of going to a top university if you have to be miserable for 12 years of your life to get there? What's the point in taking a test for a job you don't want? I just never got it because for me my unhappiness would never be worth money. Yet, the difference is I could still see a happy future for myself no matter what my salary was. Koreans on the other hand, largely see money as part of happiness and therefore they view their misery during school as simply a price they must pay to ensure they are not miserable forever. Although I still don't agree with these beliefs, understanding why Koreans study they way they do makes me better able to accept their education system. I will still cringe a little when my 12 year old brother stays up until 1AM studying only to wake up the next morning at 6AM to continue studying, but at least now I understand why my host parent's force him to do this. I can see how they are able to witness and partially cause their son's misery and yet still love him.

I realize some people may disagree with the conclusions I've drawn but these are my beliefs based on my own experience in Korea. For me, looking at the Korean and American education systems through this lens helps explain the vast differences that exist between the two systems.


1 comment:

  1. I believe you raise an important point about Korean culture's emphasis on wealth and financial security being linked to the recent history of the nation. It's logical that a country that rose so quickly economically would view the power of money with a fairly reverent eye.

    On the other hand, while the idea that "money can't buy happiness" exists in the United States, I don't think that it's as pervasive as you think (or would hope). The fabled American Dream is all about how the economically disadvantaged can achieve financial success and the creature comforts that come with a spot in the middle class. It seems even to go against the notion that poor people can remain happy or satisfied with their current financial situation. The drive to earn more, get a raise, retire with a comfortable pension, etc., all exist in the U.S., too. And honestly, the US is probably the most materialistic country on the planet.

    But we still don't test as rigorously! Perhaps there is a greater disconnect between schooling and career, or maybe it is something else.

    ReplyDelete