This site is not an official Fulbright Program site and the views expressed on the site are entirely mine and do not represent the views of the Fulbright Program, the US Department of State or any of its partner organizations.

Thursday, November 22, 2012

What I'm Thankful For...

In the spirit of the season I thought I'd write a brief post about what I am most thankful for this Thanksgiving. It is inevitably a little weird not being home for big holidays but I've had a lot of time to reflect on the many things I am thankful for here in Korea. I don't know if being far from home makes me a little sappier or just spending less time feasting gives me more time to reflect but I felt inclined to enumerate some of the reasons I'm happy here in Korea.

1. My wonderful co-teacher SooJin. SooJin is the most caring, welcoming, warm and compassionate people I have met here in Korea. Every single day she works so hard to make sure I am happy in Korea. She is a beacon of sunshine and I love teaching with her everyday. I also appreciate how much she has welcomed me into her family. I love spending time with them and feel much more at home in Korea having her family around. Furthermore SooJin is really passionate about her job and cares about our students a great deal. The two of us are able to discuss strategies for reaching our lowest learners and ultimately, we motivate each other to continually strive to be better teachers.

SooJin cooking dinner for me at a restaurant
2. My placement has proven to be a perfect match. I absolutely adore all of my co-teachers and are continually stunned by their generosity and sincere efforts to get to know me and welcome me to Korea. All of the students and faculty at Hwacheon Elementary School have made my year so much brighter. Additionally, Hwacheon is unbelievably beautiful and I love walking along the river to school every morning with the mountains surrounding me. The opportunities to explore nature are boundless in Hwacheon and I've loved running, walking, kayaking and biking in the area.

The first snowfall in Hwacheon
My wonderful students making hand turkeys
3. I am unbelievably grateful for the unfathomable generosity of Koreans. I feel so cared for by complete strangers which is wonderful given that I'm half a world away from my family and friends and do not speak the language. I am consistently stunned by people's willingness to help me and their strong desire to make my time in South Korea an unforgettable life experience. Just today, I went to pick up cookies for a coworker at a local coffee shop and exited the shop with some free cookies for myself just because the owner wanted to thank me for coming and express how happy he was that I was living in Hwacheon. Then, this afternoon, my Korean friend JiHye's aunt welcomed me and two friends into her home for dinner. JiHye and the three of us were going to grab dinner in town but her aunt insisted that she prepare a meal for us instead. I had only met her aunt once previously when she graciously allowed me to participate in her family's kimjang this past weekend. The kind gestures and gifts are even more special because most of the people who reach out to me speak little to no English.

JiHye, Amy and JiHye's Aunt
The foreigners and JiHye's Aunt

4. My friends both here in Korea and back home in America have been so instrumental in my adjustment to my Korean life. I am so grateful to have had people on both sides of the world supporting me through my various cultural guffaws and struggles. I've also loved being able to make so many new memories in Korea with so many incredible individuals. I am so fortunate to be able to complete my Korean journey alongside great friends.
The other ETAs in my town
5. Lastly, I am so thankful for my family. I am so sad I cannot spend the day with you all and want to thank you for supporting me while I'm in South Korea. I feel comfortable being in Korea because I know I have a loving family to return to when I've gotten my fill of adventure for the time being. You mean so much to me and I am relieved that you are all safe and can be together this holiday season.
My cousins and I at my going away party

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post! I can't lie, I really enjoy reading thankfulness posts like this one. It helps that most of what you write in this blog is very introspective and well-thought-out already. Also, to the photo of the first snowfall: wow! That looks beautiful. It's very unlikely that it will snow way down in the south, so... more photos, please!

    ReplyDelete