This site is not an official Fulbright Program site and the views expressed on the site are entirely mine and do not represent the views of the Fulbright Program, the US Department of State or any of its partner organizations.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Feeling the Love

As I'm sure everyone by now knows, earlier this week the Northeast was rocked by Hurricane Sandy. Breezy Point was hit particularly hard by both flooding and fires. (Quick video here and news article here) While at work on Monday I was overwhelmed by everything I was reading online about the storm and the updates I was receiving by Kakao from my brother in New York. I was really trying to focus on teaching my five classes that day but my heart and mind were elsewhere. As I slowly received more information about the breadth of destruction in New York my heart sank. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were the most homesick I have ever been. I just wanted to be with family during these difficult times instead of having to engage with my Korean family, friends and students who had little understanding, if any, of how devastating Hurricane Sandy was to my community.

As time passed though I realized how vast a support network I had developed here in South Korea. The outpouring of love first came from my fellow ETAs in Hwacheon and Yucheon. The three of them smothered me with love and continually checked in for new developments and just to make sure I was holding up okay. Then ETAs from all over the country began to check in with me and their support was a great source of strength. My Korean co-workers were also there for me, particularly my co-teacher Soo Jin. I'm convinced Soo Jin is actually superwoman because she effortlessly balances teaching, taking care of Amy and I, and taking care of her own family, which includes two young daughters. Soo Jin knew that I was from New York City so after she heard about the hurricane she asked me where I lived in the city and asked about my family. I told her that I was from Breezy Point and assured her that my family was safe but my neighborhood was pretty devastated. I did not say much more though because I did not want to upset myself at work. Soo Jin then came in the next morning and said that she spent the last night googling Breezy Point to learn more about what happened there and in all of New York as a result of Hurricane Sandy. She then apologized and told me she was grateful that my family and friends were okay. She also told a few other teachers what had happened and they all came in and asked how I was doing. One of my favorite teachers, 오원, came by this afternoon to check in on me. He is a bus driver at the school and is one of the most kind-hearted people I have met in Korea. Everyday he stops by to say hello and chat, even though hi is the extent of his English. Earlier this week he took me for a bus ride with the students and a few other teachers because he wanted me to see how beautiful Hwacheon is during the fall. His kindness, along with Soo Jin's and my fellow ETAs has made being in Korea so much easier during these difficulties. I feel like I really do have a community here in South Korea and I know that I am well taken care of. Although I still wish I could be home to help my family, friends and community rebuild I feel blessed to be in such a supportive and loving environment.

Also, all the love and support I received from my American friends was extremely appreciated. Thank you to everyone who kept my family, friends and community in their thoughts during this trying time.

No comments:

Post a Comment