This site is not an official Fulbright Program site and the views expressed on the site are entirely mine and do not represent the views of the Fulbright Program, the US Department of State or any of its partner organizations.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Cooking in Korea

Since this fall I've been meeting every Tuesday afternoon with a few of my co-teachers. I always go to the special education room so I always meet with the special education teacher and her two assistants. The other teachers then sometimes vary but there's a pretty consistent group of us who always come. We generally just drink tea or coffee and talk. All of the teachers want to learn English but really it's more just socializing. Especially since we end up speaking mainly in Korean. Although I sometimes don't follow the conversation it's generally really fun and it's really nice to feel more connected to my coworkers at school.

Recently these meetings have turned into cooking lessons because my co-teachers know that I want to learn to make Korean food. So far we have made 잡채, which is a noodle side dish, and 김치전, which is kind of like a pancake with kimchi in it. Our kimchijeon also had veggies and seafood in it. It was extremely delicious. I was also pleased that both of the dishes were relatively easy to make and all of the ingredients would be readily available in America. I do wish I was able to do a little more of the cooking but my Korean co-teachers very much fit the stereotype of Korean women in the kitchen. Basically, no one else is allowed in but them. Therefore, my contribution to both dishes was mixing the ingredients. The younger teachers were a little more receptive to me helping but the two special education assistants are much older and very traditional.

Anyways, here are some pictures from my cooking adventures. And I forgot to mention the best part of all this is that it happens during the school day!

My co-teacher carefully monitoring me mix the ingredients
Our 잡채
My co-teachers making the  김치전



No comments:

Post a Comment