This site is not an official Fulbright Program site and the views expressed on the site are entirely mine and do not represent the views of the Fulbright Program, the US Department of State or any of its partner organizations.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The End of Camp Fulbright

These past two weeks have been a lot of fun but were pretty unique due to Camp Fulbright. I have had a lot more free time and therefore have spent more time away from Jungwon. This past weekend I went on an overnight trip with the GLEE (Global Language Education Exchange) Club I joined. We stayed in a pension, which is basically a rental condo with three rooms where everyone sleeps on the floor, about 30 minutes away from the University. The group that stayed the night included Korean and American students and was run by two of the Orientation Counselors who participated in the excursion last year. When we arrived we cooked ssambap, which is Korean bbq. Basically, you grill thicker bacon strips and then put them on a piece of lettuce with rice, grilled mushrooms, grilled onions and a sauce and then roll the wrap up and eat it. The wraps were delicious and we had kimchi pancakes as a side, which are becoming one of my favorite side dishes in Korea. I was even able to man the grill for a little bit. The entire overnight trip was a nice break and was definitely a lot of fun.



I have also been able to do a little more hiking with my free time, which has been really enjoyable. On Sunday afternoon three friends and I scaled a mountain in Downtown Goesan. The hike had a little veranda-esque thing at the top and we had an incredible 360 degree view of Goesan. This weekend I also am going on an overnight trip to a National Park to hike.
And this city is about as rural as Korea gets...
My friends and I at the top!
Teaching has also been very enjoyable and yesterday I taught a lesson on voice and first person writing. My student's then wrote diary entries from the perspective of a famous person in Korean history. It was a great way for me to learn more about Korean culture and they loved teaching me about their idols.
I couldn't figure out how to flip this but it's one of my students ' diary entry
The most exciting news that has occurred the past few days and coincides with the end of Camp Fulbright relates to my placement. We found out yesterday that Friday will be Placement Day! That means Ms. Shim and other members of the Fulbright-KAEC Office will be coming to Jungwon to reveal where each of us will be living for the next year. Everyone is really giddy and excited to learn about their placement and to learn which ETAs will be located near them. I will be sure to let you all know where I will be living once I find out!

2 comments:

  1. Hello
    Ive in been liviing in Goesan for about 3 weeks now and would like to know where you went hiking. Also if you had any contact information that you could pass along regarding outdoor activities here.

    Thanks
    Sacha

    ReplyDelete